Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Wise HS Plans tonight

  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wise HS Plans tonight

    Just wondering if anyone will be at the meeting tonight?

    From the quote in the paper from Ann Gregory I look for all the plans to be scaled back to meet basic needs only before anything is started. So does this mean at least 1 more study?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise HS Plans tonight

    They can always do away with the library..lol
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise HS Plans tonight

    That was an interesting quote.

    Have heard several people talk about it, most seem to take it as a 'dangerous comment'. Make it sound like she's willing to sacrifice education to keep schools open.

    To be fair, maybe she means some of the changes, but many of the changes aren't really "fluff", not sure how much is removeable.

    (To enlighten, her comment from the paper is as follows...

    It would be wonderful to have these things, but our most pressing wish is to keep our community schools,"? Gregory said. "If we have to do with a little less, I don't think that anyone would be terribly unhappy,"? she added. "St. Paul is primarily interested in maintaining the integrity of its local building, along with Wise's, Coeburn's, Powell Valley's, Appalachia's and Pound's."?)
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise HS Plans tonight

    The additional studies, at least to me, should tick off people. Reading it right, having the 6 schools studied cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 300,000 (if not more). You can study something to death, but all you are doing is having buildings get older, costs going up, and losing more money each time you do another study.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise HS Plans tonight

    I think it was foolish to contract these studies without requiring alternative plans to be part of the job(s). By alternatives, I mean they should have been required to present two or three possible scenarios that could be compared and evaluated on their individual merits instead of just single "take it or leave it" options -- and that is exactly what the citizens of Wise County are getting for that $300,000+ cost. If these individual plans don't fly, and I truly doubt that they will "as is", more "studies" will have to performed at the same or even higher costs with no actual guarantee that a real solution will be within our grasp. This process should have been an exploratory into all available possibilities in order to improve the high schools of this county so all students have equal access and equal opportunity. Then, we could evaluate and perhaps even manipulate the plans presented to arrive at the best solutions for the individual communities, as well as, the county as a whole. Thus far, it just sounds to me like a big wish list that no one around here can realistically afford and I'm afraid that will be confirmed at tonight's meeting. IMHO I think we just threw away $300K for nothing more than a wake up call to everyone to really get serious about this issue and start working towards an overall solution that is: 1). Doable within the financial abilities of this County and its citizens and 2). Provides the best learning environments for all Wise County students attending high school within our borders. I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks for enduring my rant.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

  6. #6
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise HS Plans tonight

    I believe I like Merlin. I agree.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_sherk's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2005
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise HS Plans tonight

    I also agree. Too much money to spend on a plan that will never fly. Should have created several options.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise HS Plans tonight

    Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •